POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea: util for "sharing" CPU power : Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 27 Dec 2001 14:14:38
Message: <3c2b731e@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:Md7### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it Gergely Vandor who wrote:
>
> >Povray is able to render only a specified region of an image. It should
be
> >fairly easy to combine these regions to the whole image. Although as I'm
> >writing this I'm becoming a bit uncertain since AA, radiosity, and
photons
> >(and maybe some other features too) can be problematic.
>
> AA is not a problem. The pixels just outside the specified region are
> calculated and used for the AA calculations, but are not output.
>
> For radiosity, what you probably need to do is arrange for a radiosity
> savefile to be created once for the whole scene. The partial renderers
> would then all load the same save file.
>
> I can't see that photons would be a problem at all. Photons interact
> quite happily with objects that are outside the frame, so they should
> work just as well with objects that are inside the frame but outside the
> selected region.

Nice then, thanks for the info. :)

Knowing this I believe that what I was thinking of is far from impossible.
If there's demand for such a program, and there is no similar program in
development right now (maybe the IMP project will give birth to the right
thing), we could start to recruit programmers for the job :)

And if we are talking about IMP, can anyone give details about the software
they are making? How it will work, to what extent it is capable of doing
what I was thinking of (or what other pov users would expect).
I find their website confusing.

---
Cheers
Gergely