POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea: util for "sharing" CPU power : Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 27 Dec 2001 08:18:51
Message: <3c2b1fbb@news.povray.org>
"Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> I'd like to have such a program. Maybe it wouldn't even have to be
> restricted to share power for Povray. But how will you split a Pov
rendering
> into pieces? The wise people say you can't use multiple CPU's in one
> computer, so how will you do it over the Internet?

Povray is able to render only a specified region of an image. It should be
fairly easy to combine these regions to the whole image. Although as I'm
writing this I'm becoming a bit uncertain since AA, radiosity, and photons
(and maybe some other features too) can be problematic.

> And there has to be done a lot for security as already said. Especially if
> it's a broad application that allows other programs than Povray.

If we're talking about povray, the only  real risk is file IO, which can be
restricted to a single dir.

Cheers

Gergely