POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : isosurface surface normals : isosurface surface normals Server Time
10 May 2024 14:33:35 EDT (-0400)
  isosurface surface normals
From: Barron Gillon
Date: 24 Dec 2001 21:02:51
Message: <3c27de4b$1@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know (preferably have a macro they could send me) how to find
the surface normal of an isosurface at an arbitrary <x,y,z>?  If I remember
correctly, a macro that returns <g'(x),h'(y),i'(z)> where f(x,y,z) =
<g(x),h(y),i(z)> and x, y, and z are specified will suffice.  The catch is
of course that f() would be an arbitrary function, and I don't know how to
find numeric derivatives.  Did I miss something in the standard includes
that would do this?  Has anyone else done this?  Rune?  Thanks

Barron
p.s.  For extra credit, is there a way to determine how far a point is from
the nearest point on the surface of an isosurface?