POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : FEATURE REQUEST: visibility level flag. : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: visibility level flag. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: visibility level flag.
From: JRG
Date: 23 Dec 2001 19:06:24
Message: <3c267180@news.povray.org>
Aw, come on it was just an example.
Lightflow has got it for example:

string "visibility", int depth
Specify the tracing depth at which the objects made from this material start
to be visible.
This is useful to make objects appear only inside reflections, for example
to create rich environments though mantaining a black background.
The default value is 0.

To me it does make sense. Look at the Lightflow's cornell box posted to
p.b-i. You wouldn't say it's physically impossible, but the camera is just
two units outside the actual box. And I won't mention how many times I would
have wanted to render a nice radiosity scene with a black background (using
a no_image sky_sphere).

Really, I thought about this as a more general and simple way to resolve
many different problems. One single keyword which would include so many
different effects. I don't need it just now for an actual scene.

What I'd need is truly the _no_image_ objects to participate to radiosity
calculations. Of course this may be an undesirable effect in some
circumstances. Thus I think a no_radiosity flag would be more logical (as
long as no_image doesn't directly imply no_radiosity).

But you can forget what I asked for, because I somehow dislike the tone of
some responses here.

--
Jonathan.