POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : no more changes in dialog color, please !!! : Re: no more changes in dialog color, please !!! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no more changes in dialog color, please !!!
From: Chris Cason
Date: 21 Dec 2001 10:48:44
Message: <3c2359dc@news.povray.org>
The primary reason for the change to a bitmapped about dialog was to
ensure it displays properly. Using a normal Windows dialog requires me
to make too much allowance for font sizing changing from system to system,
otherwise I risk cutting stuff off. This makes it too hard to fit things
safely onto the dialog as it previously combined a mixture of bitmaps and
fonts.

By moving to a bitmap-based dialog this problem is solved since I now have
absolute control over how it is displayed. The fact that I can now control
the colour is a side-benefit. What you now see displayed in front of you
is no longer a Windows dialog at all, but a normal window with a bitmap and
a few owner-draw buttons. If you can't understand what that means I can't
spend any more time explaining it.

I also take issue with the implication - in your comments about development
model - that you think we are concentrating on the wrong things. Frankly, I
do not agree with any such suggestion. Being able to reliably display our
copyright and licence info is an important function, even though some folks
such as you would suggest otherwise. I have every right to choose to spend
my volunteer time on whatever I like, and if that happens to be fixing the
about box (which I've wanted to do for at least four years), then so be it.

-- Chris Cason