POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PC Configuration : Re: PC Configuration Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PC Configuration
From: Kirk Hubbell
Date: 18 Dec 2001 20:48:23
Message: <3c1ff1e7@news.povray.org>
Thanks for all of the dialogue. I have also been asking others and the
consensus seems to be that more processing power will  bring the biggest
bang for the buck although there could be some improvement with faster
memory. I'll probably go with an 1800+ and overclock it a bit and save the
money for DDR and go with sdram 133.

Now my most exciting discovery ... in the midst of this discussion (and
others that I have been having) I stumbled on a web page that hosts a
benchmark and a recompiled version of POVRay 3.1g that is optimized for the
PIII and Athlon, it was done as an experiment. I took a low resolution
render of one of my images (160X120 no AA) and rendered it. Standard POVRay
3.1g took 15 min and 47 sec. With the code optimized it took 4 min and 0
sec. I was astounded. Combining this with a faster processor, I think there
will be a great improvement.

Now, because of the complexity of the image, most of the time saved with the
optimized POV engine was in the parsing. I'll let you know an approximated
time savings after I render a few of the pictures at full resolution where
most of the time saved will be in actual rendering.

For those interested in the site, it is located at:

http://students.washington.edu/sschmitt/pov/

Kirk