POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity champions, here's something for you ! : Re: Radiosity champions, here's something for you ! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity champions, here's something for you !
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 13 Dec 2001 13:47:00
Message: <3c18f7a4@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> : Seriously, i think a mesh that's accurate enough for a realistic render
> : would not be that fast either.
>
>   Why not? The rendering time of meshes is quite independent of the number
> of triangles in it (yes, there *is* a dependency, but the rendering time of
> a mesh grows *very slowly* in relation to the number of triangles; you can
> double the number of triangles without the rendering speed slowing down
almost
> at all).

And YOU call yourself a perfectionist ?
You should be able to tell us, that the time will grow with the logarithm of
the
number of the triangles (if they are saved in octrees, then probably
logbase=8)
;)

> : One thing about your render: I think the red carpet should be removed, it
> : makes the whole front part look very red.
>
>   There is a red carpet in the other images. I think it's part of the
original
> model, but 3Dwin4 didn't export the color correctly (or alternatively there
> was no color information in the 3ds file). I had to set the red color
myself
> for that (perhaps it's too red, but it's too late to change that).

to late to change that ? I thought you can send in as many pictures as you
want ?

> : How about bump mapping of the brick structures like in some of the other
> : renders?
>
>   I used bump mapping with the given bump-map images. It may not be too
> visible, but it is there (eg. you can see it in the reflections in the
> floor, and in some of the column tops).

of course, you have normals turned on, in the radiosity-block ... , haven't
you ?

--
Jan Walzer <jan### [at] lzernet>