POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Mosaic. Is it noise, hf_gray_16....? : Re: Mosaic... some clarifications Server Time
16 May 2024 19:36:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mosaic... some clarifications
From: bob h
Date: 13 Dec 2001 05:25:35
Message: <3c18821f$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:Gue### [at] econymdemoncouk...

> What's happening is that .grey isn't the correct way to extract height
> information from a hf_gray_16 image, it's the way to extract a gray
> equivalent from an RGB image. The data bits are stored in a different
> order in a hf_gray_16 than they are in an RGB image, so the resulting
> pixels are at all sorts of wrong heights.
>
> So change it from ".gray" to the experimental ".hf", like
>
>         function {y-F_p(x,y,z).hf*.1}
>
> and it may also be worthwhile to increase the max_gradient on your
> second isosurface.

It's a miracle!  Well, okay, not exactly a real miracle but close enough.  I
didn't know about this .hf thing before, or simply went in one ear and out
the other; and Context Help doesn't find it.  Worked okay on the Targa image
input but png is still broken.  I thought it had been fixed as of beta 8.

Found out just now I wasn't thorough enough when I went to check on this
before posting.  My search of povray.beta-test for hf_gray_16 png came up
with nothing so I reread some.  I've seen the Known Bugs Dec 10 posting by
you and Ron's reply to that concerning png output.  I remembered it
differently, as Ron saying it had been fixed as of this current beta.  Not
so, apparently for next beta 9.

I've also been under the impression that isosurfaces were now being more
automatic in the way max_gradient was handled.  I need to read up on that
some more too.

So, I'll just go away now and come back when I have something else.  Sorry
for the bother.  Thanks for the help and answer!
--
text{ttf"arial","bob h",.1,0pigment{rgb 9}translate<-1,-.2,3>}