POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : skyvase : Re: skyvase => (better povbench) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skyvase => (better povbench)
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 10 Dec 2001 16:22:52
Message: <3c1527ac@news.povray.org>
news:3c13ece0@news.povray.org...
> In article <3c13d9da@news.povray.org> , <pan### [at] syixcom>  wrote:
>
> > http://www.tabsnet.com/
>
> Ah, great, they are measuring background activity on every OS.  For
neither
> platform there is anything mentioned of the rendered CPU priority.  And
for
> the Mac version someone even had the brilliant idea to suggest the medium
> setting.

Actually, this might even be desirable - it's a bit like the difference
between a DOS app and Windows app.  One of them will have much better
performance (say, 3-4x), but the other one is what people will actually use.
And it's more useful knowing how your machine will do in a genuine setting,
rather than a manufactured one.

To put it another way, I don't care if my car will go 0-60 in 4.6 seconds,
and get 32 mpg on the racetrack - I want to know how it responds when I
drive it on real roads, and the mileage I'll get with my actual commute.

...Chambers