POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : spatch or hamapatch file format : Re: spatch or hamapatch file format Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: spatch or hamapatch file format
From: Richard D
Date: 9 Dec 2001 16:17:10
Message: <3c13d4d6$1@news.povray.org>
>   I think that would be quite difficult, as those programs use some type
of
> bicubic patches, not meshes. Converting a mesh to a bicubic patch can be
> a close to impossible problem.

Yes, you are correct.  But I managed to partially do it (enough for my
needs).  I figured out the spatch format (by trying various samples) and by
making all curves not smooth (equivalent to using the peak tool on all
vertices), I was able to do a partial conversion.  The program I wrote to do
the conversion, will make all curves only touch two points (so they are all
straight lines).  So I managed to convert it, but without normal and uv
mapping information.  I might attempt to write another convertion program to
convert it back to meshes.