POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blur routines. : Blur routines. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Blur routines.
From: Hugo
Date: 7 Dec 2001 08:56:12
Message: <3c10ca7c@news.povray.org>
Hi,

The attached code is my first attempt to convolve a pigment.. Don't expect
it to look good, please..

I think POV would benefit from having internal blurring routines.. There are
many routines to create procedural textures and we've also begun to
pigmentize objects and use pigments as functions.. Blurring would come in
handy.. I tried the other day with 255 averaged pigments but that's not good
enough.. It makes strange things sometimes, and in connection with
isosurfaces it better be more than 8-bit.

I searched on www.google.com to learn how to code gaussian blur, and I got
this far in SDL, this morning.. Unfortunately I never learned C, but I think
it would be easy to implement blur code there.. My routine is too slow to be
useful, though it might be possible to optimise, I don't know?  I also don't
know how to increase the amount of blur yet! Heeh, I thought it would work
with a bigger matrix, but that just seems to affect the blur quality.

But it might be that someone here will agree that POV would benefit from an
internal convolution matrix.

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Convolution-blur.pov.txt' (4 KB)