POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What abilites should a particle system have? : Re: What abilites should a particle system have? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What abilites should a particle system have?
From: Rune
Date: 6 Dec 2001 10:21:16
Message: <3c0f8cec@news.povray.org>
"Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce" wrote:
>  controls for: initial speed, accelleration

What do you mean by acceleration?

> initial color, initial color randomness

I don't think that's very generic. Instead I'd assign a random number to
each particle. This, combined with the age, speed, etc. can be used by the
user for anything, for example to give the particle a specific color.

> Particles:
>  hit detection-rebound, color control: speed based,
> age based, accelleration based (mhm there should be
> a speed, age etc variable for every particle, and
> then I should be able to attach those variables to
> color channels or to any other value... like phong
> highlight etc...)

Exactly.

>  ability to attach a generic object to every particle

The user can simply be given the location, speed, age, etc., and then take
care of creating the particles from that. That's much more generic than
implementing specialized support for blobs, spheres, light_sources etc.

>  point and line particles

What do you mean by line particles? If you simply mean particles that are
longer in one direction, then see above.

>  normal (linear)

= Gravity?

> vortex, bend, attractor

Please explain these in more detail or point me to relevant references.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)