POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Particle systems question for Rune, Jonathan, Tim, Fernando, et al : Re: Particle systems question for Rune, Jonathan, Tim, Fernando, et al Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:33:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle systems question for Rune, Jonathan, Tim, Fernando, et al
From: JRG
Date: 4 Dec 2001 17:41:02
Message: <3c0d50fe@news.povray.org>
Alan Holding wrote:
> I think the animations produced by all your respective particle systems
are
> pretty amazing.  I just have a couple of questions which don't seem to be
> getting asked.
>
> 1.    Are any of you planning to release your systems to the great
unwashed
> soon?  (I'd love to beta test if not!)

I'm not planning to do a fully functional particle system at all :(
I have some code I wrote for fun that perhaps I will put together into a
*real* particle system when I have time (I'm too busy with University at the
moment).

> 2.  What's the speed of your respective systems like?  How long does it
take
> to parse/render a typical particle scene?  (I realise this is a difficult
> one to answer.  Maybe quoting the times of posted animations would be a
good
> guide?)

The last animation I posted took 1h and 56 minutes to render (400 frames,
320x240, +a0.3). Without inter-particles collision things should be much
faster.

> 3.  Have any of your tried using non-spherical/non-blob particles?

Not yet.

--
Jonathan.