POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Handedness : Re: Handedness Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Handedness
From: bob h
Date: 4 Dec 2001 10:54:45
Message: <3c0cf1c5@news.povray.org>
"Jaime Vives Piqueres" <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote in message
news:3C0### [at] ignoranciaorg...
> Ron Parker wrote:
>
> > Math uses the right-hand rule too.  POV uses the left-hand rule by
> > default because that's how it was created.  Call it a historical
> > accident.  To change it now would just be wrong.
>
>    Hmmm... I don't think on it as an accident. Tim has really given the
> answer with the question: CAD programs were done for designers, people
> that thinks on floorplans with implicit x-y axis. But which was the
> public POV-Ray was created for? IMHO, this is the key...

Hopefully I cancelled my reply to Ron's message before too many people saw
it.
  8-o
Don't know what I was thinking, saying that image_map projected onto the xy
plane.  It of course projects onto the xz plane by default.  Thought POV-Ray
had some logic there before I realized my mistake.
There is still the gaming industry which uses the z axis as in/out, away
near, z-buffer and all that.  That's how I learned it during using Basic to
draw things in 2D or 3D.  x and y were always the plots on the screen
surface, z being depth.
--
text{ttf"arial","bob h",.1,0pigment{rgb 9}translate<-1,-.2,3>}