POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disc which is not flat : Re: Disc which is not flat Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disc which is not flat
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 3 Dec 2001 08:30:17
Message: <3c0b7e69$1@news.povray.org>
"Dave Dunn" <poi### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> Ben Chambers wrote:
>
> >Kind of like the English language :)
>
> Interesting that you should mention this. I have been thinking that this
> whole discussion mirrors a debate that has been raging for years in the
> area of liguistics, between prescriptive and descriptive grammar.
> Prescritive grammar is based on the insistance that a set of rules,
> formulated over the course of time, must be followed, or the language
> will degenerate. Descriptive grammar looks at the way the language is
> being used and reformulates the rules to reflect current usage. I happen
> to fall into the descriptive category.

    Follow ups to p.o.t.

    Clearly it is both. Definitions of words must be agreed upon, while room
must be made for new usages. But I must admit that I would be more willing
to argue in favor of the former than the latter if we -had- to have it one
way or another.

    Most modern languages are quite expressive. If new words can be added as
new concepts arise, there is no need to re-define the old words. But going
to far in the 'descriptive' direction allows chaos to rule and
misunderstanding erupts in every attempt to communicate. For instance, what
if I use the word "erupts" to mean "decreases" or "is destroyed"?