POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory question - splines : Re: Memory question - splines Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory question - splines
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 1 Dec 2001 23:39:12
Message: <3c09b070@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote in message <3c095151@news.povray.org>...
>"JRG" wrote:
>> Too much?
>
>Correct answer!
>
>I little test and a few calculations seem to predict that it would require
>about 700 MB memory. The computer I'm working at most of the time has 16
>MB...

I've looked at the spline code, and by: eliminating pre-calculation of
spline coefficients, limiting splines to 3-D vectors, and changing the
spline code from double-precision floats to single-precision floats, the
memory needed could be reduced to 128 MB.

On a more practical note, since you're using spline interpolation, you
probably don't need to put every point calculated into the spline -- you can
probably get away with only putting in every fourth point or so.

--
Mark