POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disc which is not flat : Re: Disc which is not flat Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disc which is not flat
From: JRG
Date: 30 Nov 2001 16:17:53
Message: <3c07f781@news.povray.org>
x, y and z are just *shortcuts* for <1,0,0> <0,1,0> and <0,0,1>
respectively. As you know vectors aren't used exclusively for
transformations (i.e. rotations, translations and scale), so they must work
the same way in any circumstance. I mean, if I write y, I mean <0,1,0> (what
otherwise?). So, since rotate, translate and scale need a vector, and since
x, y and z are those vectors I mentioned above and HAVE to work the same way
everywhere, if you write scale 2*x the parser HAS to read <2,0,0>. I
personally never used to scale individual axes, but think that those
warnings are just enough.

--
Jonathan.