POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV features : Re: POV features Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV features
From: Anders K
Date: 29 Nov 2001 16:51:31
Message: <3c06ade3$1@news.povray.org>
> What definition? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just that I've
> seen it both ways.

Just to give you an examples -- the golden ratio is defined as (sqrt(5) +
1)/2 in almost every site in Google's golden ratio category:

<http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Math/Recreations/Specific_Numbers/p
hi/>
I say "almost" because one site was unclear about which of (sqrt(5) + 1)/2
or (sqrt(5) - 1)/2 it was calling the golden ratio, and two gave me 404s,
but every other one said it was (sqrt(5) + 1)/2.

Please don't misunderstand me -- I am not saying that one value is better
than the other one. You can decide for yourself which value you think is
right. I'm just saying that the golden ratio has been defined both ways, and
so including one of them as a builtin constant in POV-Ray would not be a
good idea.

Anders