POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : AN IDEA: Blind shortest code contest! : Re: AN IDEA: Blind shortest code contest! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AN IDEA: Blind shortest code contest!
From: Rune
Date: 28 Nov 2001 09:27:46
Message: <3c04f462@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> There *is* stunning art out there which involves
> sophisticated use of a modeller.  But it IMHO is
> not a Poster Child for Povray.

Why not?

> Is it a professional tool for getting exhaustively,
> exhaustively photorealistic lighting and texturing
> on objects modelled in other packages, or is it
> something more wonderful-- a toy?

It's both, and I won't be the judge of what's more wonderful.

> No, I'm not saying I want pov 5.0 to come with
> built-in blobmen or Bryce-like instant mountains.
> But I think the real pov-evangelization
> opportunities come in demonstrating what can be done
> with very little code, with TEXT TYPING, mind you!

I prefer text typing myself too but I certainly don't want to enforce my
opinion on others.
The arguments you come with are subjective and indeed one can't argue
objectively in this area without first defining a common goal (like
efficiency, having fun, learning, or something different). People have
different goals, and thus no one can say what is the best and most correct
use of POV-Ray.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)