POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV features : Re: POV features Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV features
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 28 Nov 2001 06:54:48
Message: <3c04d088@news.povray.org>
"s1631001" <s16### [at] namtarqubacuk> wrote in message
news:3C0### [at] namtarqubacuk...
> Sorry, I haven't downloaded POV3.5 yet, so if any of these are embedded
> in it already, ignore them.
>
> 1: Golden ratio:
> since POV-Ray is used (primarily!) for creating art, shouldn't the
> golden ratio be a built-in constant, like pi?
>
> 2: Polygonal preview:
> A Moray-style preview where everything is represented by
> polygons/wireframe. This would give a good impression of the finished
> image for test renders.
>
> I had more, but I've forgotten them! I'll see if I can dredge them up...

Here's one that I've been thinking of for a long time, but keep forgetting to
post:
A special blob-CSG used in blob statements. You should be able to do unions,
differences and intersections all within the blob statement. This would be a lot
more versatile than the current negative blobs. The result would be something
like a rounded version of a CSG of spheres and cylinders.

Currently you can't really put a blobs sphere in a place that has a larger
negative blob without drastically changing values, making it very difficult to
work in areas that contain negative blobs.

It would probably look something like this:

blob{ difference{    sphere{<-1,-1,-1>,2,1}
                                intersection{ sphere{<0,0,0>,1,1}

                                                    cylinder{<-1,-1,-1>,1,.5,1 }
                                                    }
                             }
        }

I'm sure this should be possible - I just don't know if it would be just as slow
as isosurfaces in which case it would probably be redundant.

--
- Nekar

http://nekar_xenos.tripod.com/metanoia/

---