POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what is the Mayaray? : Re: what is the Mayaray? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what is the Mayaray?
From: khor
Date: 26 Nov 2001 15:00:00
Message: <3c029f40@news.povray.org>
"> > Introduction:
> > MayaRAY is a experimental rendering interface built-in Maya 4.0 to
> Povray3.5
> > and MegaPov0.7.
>
> That's cool and all, but I can't understand how people who can spend
> thousands of dollars for such a high-end software would use POV-Ray to
> render their works. I don't know Maya, so perhaps someone now will tell me
> that its render sucks or something like that...
>
> --
Yes! Maya is a highend program!! But renderer is not a true raytracer and
have many problems and about raytracing with many shadows,
reflection,refraction,etc. in heavy scenes!!

First i'm a 3d animator and programmer! Mayaray project started just for fun
but it works good now with a lot of supported povray features. And i don't
think to compete with Maya default renderer at this moment!
Because of Povray not support many standarts like nurbs,subd,without a api
for direct connection... but i suppose that will be added in future!! And
most important things that's Povray give very good quality renderings and
stability! We have'nt any plan to do Povray importer for maya!
And last things i want to say you can write any Povray code in Maya to add
exported scenes!!

Mayaray is in beta stage and will be available to download in short time!
And we will need to take your ideas and feedbacks about it!!
I think it will be very useful for most people!