POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.international : contatti, light_group e altro : Re: [it/en] contatti, light_group e altro Server Time
27 Jul 2024 22:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [it/en] contatti, light_group e altro
From: JRG
Date: 14 Nov 2001 13:24:01
Message: <3bf2b6c1@news.povray.org>
Tony[B wrote:
> Ahh, ora capito. Scusa. I never did finish learning. Is "cio" like "that"
in
> English? (Or "eso/aquello" in Spanish?)

Sort of. To say the truth eso= questo and aquello = quello (I guess) and we

In English things are much different and a good translation much depends on
the situation: for example here you wanted to say "Now, I understood what
you said" and the best translation is (funnily) the closest to the English
version: "Ho capito cosa hai detto" (*dicesti* uses a less used tense).

> > Yet in italian you can
> > refer to a person with *voi* (you plural) by courtesy (for example if
> you're
> > talking with an old person). This way is called "dare del voi", so the
> > sentence you wrote, although correct, sounds funnily *aulic*, like a
> > prose-work. :)
>
> Haha. :) The only respectful way I knew of was "lei", which, I must say,
is
> really strange when talking to men...

"Voi" is even more respectful than "Lei" (notice the capital case :). For
example we use *Lei* when talking to our teachers at University. Every time
you are in doubt, think about Spanish: they're quite similar (that's why I
survived two weeks in Barcelona without knowing one Spanish word ;)

--
Jonathan.