POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Script language speed : Re: Script language speed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script language speed
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 12 Nov 2001 02:31:25
Message: <3bef7acd@news.povray.org>

news:3beda714.170951229@news.povray.org...
> >Hmm... I wonder if we could make a POV-Ray "compiler"?  As in, it would
> >parse your scene, and then create an executable which would render that
> >scene (and that scene only) at a resolution specified on the command
line?

> Hmm, IIRC OORT did something like that. It's fairly straightforward to
> call POV-Ray code directly for a hard-coded scene thus by-passing the
> parser. OTOH the render speed would be identical and you would have to
> add time for compile & link, thus no net gain.
>
> /Erkki

Well, probably not very practical, but you could probably throw in some
scene specific optimizations in there.  For instance, if you don't use
radiosity, you could just drop all of that code from the end compile.  You
could check reflections, and hardcode which objects will (and won't)
reflect.  Things like this.  Like I said, probably not worth it, and more
tongue in cheek than anything :)

...Chambers