POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Script language speed : Re: Script language speed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script language speed
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 9 Nov 2001 03:05:14
Message: <3beb8e3a@news.povray.org>
news:3be69fc4@news.povray.org...
>   Firstly, the main reason is that the POV-Ray scripting language is an
> _interpreted_ language. This makes comparison with _compiled_ languages
> (eg. C++) very unfair.

Hmm... I wonder if we could make a POV-Ray "compiler"?  As in, it would
parse your scene, and then create an executable which would render that
scene (and that scene only) at a resolution specified on the command line?
This would allow for various speedups and optimizations to be done, wouldn't
it? :)

Of course I realize it would be a nightmare to try and code, so maybe we'll
wait until pov4 comes out...

...Chambers