POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Re: Alpha problems: text is not antialiased (100 KB) : Re: Alpha problems: text is not antialiased (100 KB) Server Time
1 Jun 2024 01:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alpha problems: text is not antialiased (100 KB)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Nov 2001 12:10:52
Message: <3beabc9c@news.povray.org>
In article <3beaaf3a@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>  When I render the example scene without +ua, all parts of the the text is
> antialiased equally.
>   If I render it with +ua (and antialiasing method 1), then the part of the
> text which has only background behind it doesn't get antialiased (while the
> part which has the boxes behind does). The preview of POV-Ray shows clearly
> this and when I open the resulting image with Gimp, it is identical (that is,
> the edges really aren't antialiased in those parts).
>
>   I'm using the unix version (yes, it supports preview taking into account
> the alpha channel, as the Windows version does), but I suppose that the
Windows
> version works in the same way (I suppose that the original poster is using
> that).
>
>   However, I think the problem seems to be somewhere else. I tried putting
> another black object in the image (a cylinder) and it didn't get antialiased
in
> the lower half of the image either.
>   It seems to me that the color of the objects has something to do with this.
> If I make the cylinder and the text red, then they get antialiased.
>
>   Could it perhaps be that the antialiasing routine thinks that the background
> is black and thus doesn't perform antialiasing with black objects?
>   This is specially curious since the background is specifically set to white.
> Put perhaps the +ua has some effect here.
>   It's also curious why it works with +am2.

These two images show the scene rendered and the preview with and without
alpha-channel display on Macs.  The the thread in povray.beta-test for
details.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Attachments:
Download 'aa.png' (37 KB) Download 'noaa.png' (33 KB) Download 'us-ascii' (0 KB)

Preview of image 'aa.png'
aa.png

Preview of image 'noaa.png'
noaa.png