POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Script language speed : Re: Script language speed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script language speed
From: Redbeard
Date: 8 Nov 2001 11:23:36
Message: <3beab188$1@news.povray.org>
"Jon A. Cruz" <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in message
> Ahh, but what you see there is just a single name that lives in the top-level
> namespace. (terms are just close, probably not precise to the actual ANSI
spec).

> You just put an underscore in the middle of that namespace. With Java, you
could
> have "org.apache", "org.apache.xerces", "org.apache.xml", each one being the
> equivalent of nestled subdirectories. With C++ names, you'd have one top-level
> directory with "apache", "apache_xerces" and "apache_xml" all living as
> subdirectories in that main directory. In practice there's not so much
difference,
> but semanticly there is.
>
> But I think the most important dinstinction is how those names are chosen.
With
> C++, each developer anywhere in the world picks what he hopes will be a short
but
> unique name for his work. Pick the same name for a namespace as someone else,
and
> you'll have trouble if you ever try to integrate with his code. But the Java
trick
> of standardizing on reversed domain names solves that problem quite nicely,
and on
> a world-wide basis.

As I said, I think Java has a better and more flexible way of doing it.  One
limitation of using the reversed domain name, though, is that not everyone has
one.

I namespaces (or packages, or whatever) should be considered for POV-Ray 4.0,
but I don't how best to implement.  There are other ways to do it beyond what
we've discussed here.

Michael

--
#macro M(D)#local J=strlen(D);#local _=""#while(J>0)#local _=concat(_,substr(D
,J,1))#local J=J-1;#end _#end sphere{z*9,5pigment{rgb x}}#macro N(D,J)text{ttf