POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Colour Clipping : Colour Clipping Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Colour Clipping
From: Trevor Quayle
Date: 7 Nov 2001 08:55:18
Message: <3be93d46$1@news.povray.org>
How does colour clipping work?  Is it handled by POV or by image viewer?
The reason I ask is that I sometimes use high ambient objects for light
sources and if I use anything other than a pure colour (i.e. <1,1,1>,
<1,1,0>, etc...) the final colour gets clipped to a pure color.  For
example, if you have an orange light, rgb<1,0.5,0>, and make it really
bright, rgb<1,0.5,0>*10=<10,5,0>, the final colour gets clipped to <1,1,0>
or yellow. in every extreme cases, you could take a red declared as
<1,0.01,0.01>*100 and it would get clipped to white.  Is there anyway to
keep the colour clipping proportional to the original colour or is it
outside of the POV domain?

-tgq