POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Script language speed : Re: Script language speed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script language speed
From: Batronyx
Date: 6 Nov 2001 23:35:43
Message: <3be8ba1f@news.povray.org>
"Redbeard" <red### [at] wvadelphianet> wrote in message

[snip]

> I would say, yes, include files would be optomized as well.  I've recently
been
> thinking about this as well.  That started when I learned that #include'd
macros
> open the include file each time the macro is called.
>
> A good way is to parse an included file and keep the parsed file in memory for
> the entire execution.  When a macro is read it would be parsed into bytecode
and
> stored in memory.  An index to it would be stored and anytime the macro is
> encountered in the following code the bytecode is looked up and executed.  No
> need to open the included file again.

[snip]

I think an exception should be made for mesh includes though eh? They are
already referenced similar to your description (if I understand correctly) as
objects and I wouldn't really want the include text hanging around in memory any
longer than necessary, considering the size they can achieve. ( And of course
I'm not referring to includes that generate meshes algorithmically)

Batronyx ^"^