POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Script language speed : Re: Script language speed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script language speed
From: Rune
Date: 5 Nov 2001 12:47:40
Message: <3be6d0bc@news.povray.org>
"Warp" wrote:
>   The best way to go, in my opinion, is to do the same
> thing as Perl: First parse the file and compile it to
> some type of bytecode to memory (the format of the
> bytecode is completely free; it should be something
> that best suits the needs of POV-Ray) and then this
> bytecode is interpreted with a highly optimized
> interpreter (which isn't a hard thing to do, in fact).

If these two steps are strictly separated, then how will script I/O work,
where (1) the script writes POV-script to an external file and (2) later
includes that file to be parsed?

(1) would not happen until the interpretation stage while (2) require the
parsing stage. However, the parsing comes before the interpretation stage
you say.

Or maybe you mean that the whole process happen on a per-file basis where
both steps are performed every time a new file is opened?

This would for some scenes require switching back and fourth between parser
and interpreter a whole lot of times because a lot of files a included (just
think of heavy use of the parse_string macro). Is that would you propose?
(I'm not saying that's bad (it might be very good), I'm just curious if
that's what you mean.)

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)