POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Script language speed : Re: Script language speed Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script language speed
From: Andrew
Date: 5 Nov 2001 10:04:42
Message: <3be6aa8a$1@news.povray.org>
Wow!  That was more of an answer than I was hoping for!  I had feared
that POV's scripting had simply never been designed for speed above all
other considerations.  I guess it's time I learn C++ properly and
generate some of my scenes that way...

I think I would have to agree - compiling to memory and then
interpreting the code would be a *very* welcome addition for v4.  Any
time lost in interpreting "normal" scenes would probably be negligible
on the vast majority of computers running POV by that time (I'm guessing
POV 4 is at least 2 years off?), and the benefits in terms of scripting
capability would be enourmous.

As regards sanity-checking of a compiled POV file, a flag at the start
of the file identifying it as a user-generated file could be used to
perform sanity-checking only when necessary.  One would then have to
trust people to use this flag properly, though...