POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi-Res Planet Maps : Re: Hi-Res Planet Maps Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi-Res Planet Maps
From: Chris Jeppesen
Date: 29 Oct 2001 13:13:23
Message: <3bdd9c43@news.povray.org>
"Andrew" <ast### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> On a sort-of related note, the JPL site also provides models of various
> spacecraft.  I'm not sure what they're like, but they are mostly DXF
> format, I think, and about 0.5MB in size.  I'm sure someone will find a
> use for them...

I found a use for them. The Cassini model marked "detailed (to a fault)" in
Wavefront OBJ format converts well into mesh2 objects. The intended material
(aluminum, silver, gold, white, etc) is in the file and maps easily to
textures
in metals.inc. It looks really good! It just takes 10MB of mesh and 45sec of
parsing to use them.

Chris Jeppesen