POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blobman 5.0? : Re: Blobman 5.0? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blobman 5.0?
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 28 Oct 2001 13:03:42
Message: <3bdc487e@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <"gregj56590[:-0]"@aol.com> wrote in message
news:3BD731C7.D93D5BEA@aol.com...
> Rune wrote:
>
> > May I ask how you have achieved to group together blob components that
> > belong together in the same body part, so they can be transformed
together?

> The raw code for the model I keep publishing on p.b.a. is notoriously
> inefficient. It has as many as half a dozen scale, translate and rotate
> statements in the code.  I have to cut & paste all these statements if say
> want to add another muscle bulge for the thigh.
>
> Ideally a rewrite would have transform{Thigh_Transform}, etc., for every
> component that is "for the thigh".  This feature exists in the
stick-figure
> model I posted at p.b.s.-f., but I have not yet developed a competent blob
> figure for it, especially NOT in the file in that collection!  (:-P   It
may
> originally be your idea, but take a look at the mime13.pov file there,
> especially around line 465 to the end....

While the models themselves weren't very detailed, the raw code I used for
my entry in "Fantasy and Mystic" allowed much more complexity.  The code
would, for example, build a creature after receiving several #declares which
defined the size of various limbs, the positions for limbs (which should all
be left alone, or else they won't mesh well) and the rotations for various
body parts.  The only drawback is that each rotational vector needs to be
defined for each keyframe, which is very tedious to do by hand for an
animation.  (Although, if we're only using it for stills, it's not that
bad).

...Chambers