POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Compile to data file option : Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option
From: nospam
Date: 26 Oct 2001 21:16:49
Message: <3bd8a25e.4051401@localhost>
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:03:11 GMT, Ze!nPs### [at] yahoocom wrote:

>Yes I know it's been done before in a special patched version of
>povray at some point. But very poorly. (POB format)
>
>Basically, What I'd like to be able to do is compile a scene- with all
>it's various include files and image files and data files- into a
>single compressed binary file. Or at least into a single in line ascii
>file - like say.. a pdf.

Dunno about the included images, but I guess you could write a .pov
file that (when run) would open a specified .pov file and then start
echoing lines from this input .pov file to a specified output file.
Whenever an "include" is hit, it would open the included file,
start reading from that, outputting its contents to the output file
instead of the "include" statement.

This would result in one .pov file containing verything except for
images and fonts.  I suppose you could write in a macro to list
all images and fonts references that occur in a pov file but that
would be a parse monster.

One other problem, if youy use the technique of having a .pov
file write a temp file and then include the just-created temp
file, the above method would fail.

Interesting problem.