POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflections : Re: Reflections Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections
From: Trevor Quayle
Date: 23 Oct 2001 12:31:19
Message: <3bd59b57$1@news.povray.org>
Further to what I am trying to figure out here, we can also look at faded
reflections as it is the root of the problem.  For things like linoleum
floors that have a low reflection (let's consider a smooth one with no
reflection blurring), objects that are a large distance away can be seen
less clearly than objects that are very close, if they can be seen at all,
however brighter objects can be seen more clearly such as light bulbs or a
bright window.  To me it is logical that the reflective properties don't
change as objects move further away, the surface can only reflect a
percentage of the light it receives, so this gives me the impression that
less reflected light is being recieved from objects as they move further
away.  It is a lot easier to see in this case because only a small
percentage of the light is reflected, showing the contrast a lot better.
Am I wrong in what I am assuming here?

-tgq