POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Compile to data file option : Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option
From: Ze!nPsycho
Date: 21 Oct 2001 16:32:28
Message: <3bd33eef.8850116@news.povray.org>
Well, an option to compile a list of all the include files (including
images and density files) would be nice, with a recursive quality
additionally.    I'll have to look into that code at some point. It
would be a nice feature for say- Povray 3.6(heh, yeah right)  or 4.0

I would be perfectly happy to be able to include images, in-line with
the code. This would provide at least two immediate advantages I can
see at the moment.

#1. the possibility of making a single .pov file that doesn't depend
on any other files.

#2. The possibility of dynamically generating images during the parse
phase.

If this were combined with say, a possible feature for binary file i/o
directives, you could add support for reading in almost any image file
format without having to patch the povray source code.

I personally don't mind  the file size issues so much. You don't HAVE
to include images in line with the ascii source code, so if file size
is your concern you can just leave the files seperate.

Triangle meshes consume a lot of file space in ascii format as well.
So it's not really setting a new precedent in that direction.

Yeay! free ramen noodles! I guess I'll end this message now so I can
eat them.

-Zen