POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Compile to data file option : Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option
From: Ze!nPsycho
Date: 19 Oct 2001 14:19:45
Message: <3bd07e1a.8492982@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:12:00 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3bd0751f.6193388@news.povray.org> , Ze!nPs### [at] yahoocom  wrote:
>
>> This is probably a really old idea, but one which I'd like to see cos
>> it'd make big renders much easier to do across multiple computers.
>
>Just ZIP the scene file(s), it will be as effective.
>
>    Thorsten

not quite, since you can't say for instance:

povray scene.zip

you have to unzip it first.
Also when zipping it, you have to find all the files you may have
included. You should keep them all in the same directory as good
practice, yes, but many times this is not practical or convenient. As
a consequence you have to sort through all occurances of those files
in your source code and replace them with the new location.

Also say, if you used a chris colefax macro, and someone at the other
end doesn't have that macro, they would have to get it and install it
correctly in order to properly render.

So as you can see, Just zipping it is not quite as effective as what I
have in mind.