POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Controlling Highlights : Re: Controlling Highlights Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Controlling Highlights
From: Rune
Date: 18 Oct 2001 12:58:28
Message: <3bcf0a34@news.povray.org>
"Ben Chambers" wrote:
> Does anyone know how to control the color of a specular highlight?

Yes, the following workaround is tested and works. (I used it for my Compact
Disc Include File, which can be found on my website.)

Use a texture_map with an average pattern to average two textures. One of
the textures is whatever texture you want. The other is a texture with just
a highlight.

The texture with the highlight should have a pigment with the color that you
want the highlight to be. Use metallic for the highlight. Use ambient 0 and
diffuse 0.

The other texture can be practically anything you want.

If you don't specify any weights for the two textures in the average, they
will both have a weight of 0.5. That means that you need to multiply
practically all the values in the finish statement (ambient, diffuse,
reflection, specular etc.) with 2. In both textures that is.

You can probably also specify a weight of 1 for the highlight texture and a
weight of 10000 for the other texture; then you only need to remember to
multiply the highlight by 10000, but the other texture you can leave alone.
That's probably easier, but I haven't tested it myself.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)