POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Question.. : Re: A Question.. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Question..
From: Ruy
Date: 16 Oct 2001 20:20:11
Message: <3bcccebb@news.povray.org>
"Jason M." <jas### [at] hotmailcom> escreveu na mensagem
> I have a question that I've been attempting to figure out, or at least
> if it's possible, for awhile now. I'm using an include file called
> bend.inc (Made by Chris Colefax?) and would like to know the following.
> After I bend an object, for example a plain cylinder, how would I go
> about finding where the new end of it is? I don't know much how else to
> describe it, I hope you understand..

Some disclaimers:
1 - My math skills are admitedly poor, so this may not be the shortest
answer, albeit a precise one;
2 - English is not my primary language, so I don't know for sure if I
understood your question, nor if I will make my answer understandable;

That put, here it goes. Please refer to the picture I have posted at p.b.i
so you can have a visual of the explanation.

Suppose your cylinder is sitting along the x axis, with its fixed point
being the right extremity (object_axis1) and the left extremity being at <L,
0, 0> (object_Axis2). The length of your cylinder, therefore, is L.

Suppose you bend it by "alpha" degrees (or radians, for that matter). L will
then be an arch of a circumference with radius R, which can be defined as:

     R=l/alpha

From there, it's simple trig, and I believe the picture will explain better
than my cumbersome words.

Ruy