POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dynamic Normals : Re: Dynamic Normals Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dynamic Normals
From: Batronyx
Date: 14 Oct 2001 23:14:50
Message: <3bca54aa@news.povray.org>
news:3BC9496A.12672868@gmx.de...

> Batronyx wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a way to determine the normal of a surface dynamically
at
> > render time? trace() is static/parse time. Attempting to infer from a
functions
> > using the slope pattern doesn't work; its not allowed in pattern syntax and
> > isn't evaluated dynamically during a render using pigment syntax.
> > And of course there isn't a f_normal() in functions include.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Megapov MCP has an object_slope pattern which works in functions etc. but
> i'm not sure if it's suited for your purpose.
>
> It can be found on:
>
> http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/povcyg.html
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
> IsoWood include, radiosity tutorial, TransSkin and other
> things on: http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/

Thanks Christoph. For the sake of brevity I'll refer you to my answer to Warp's
post.

I will add though, I checked your link and was impressed to see a blur patch. I
was wondering just the other day how I might blur a texture in POV. I have to
ask though, "Why do you have it implemented where the pigment must be specified
twice rather than just as a pigment modifier?" Also, have you considered
allowing some optional jitter as with area lights to help break up some of the
aliasing artifacts at lower samples?

--
Batronyx ^"^
bat### [at] cadronhsacom //old & going away