POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Help-Instructions to Using Photon Map- Saving and Loading : Re: Help-Instructions to Using Photon Map- Saving and Loading Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:56:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help-Instructions to Using Photon Map- Saving and Loading
From: Bob H
Date: 11 Oct 2001 04:49:27
Message: <3bc55d17@news.povray.org>
"Jong" <jjk### [at] mmewhaackr> wrote in message

> I'm not sure whether I should have posted this question to the
> povray.newusers.

This is the right place for that question if you have MegaPOV, but if you
have the new P-R v3.5 beta you could have asked at either newusers or
general.

> First, I'd like to know whether the photon-map is reusable, even when I
> changed the size of the rendered image, or the viewing conditions such as
> camera (with fixed lighting and models).
>
> I'd also like to learn where I could get instructions to saving and
> photon maps.

The map is really meant for ease in rerunning a unchanged scene again but
resolution should be okay.  Changing the field of view without moving the
camera might work out somewhat but I myself couldn't say for certain.  I've
reloaded maps before and made changes but never really kept tabs on how good
or bad a result that can be.

All that is required to use them is to put the keywords in, like so:

global_settings {
    photons {
        PHOTON ITEMS
        save_file "MyPhoton.phm"
    }
}

...or...

global_settings {
    photons {
        PHOTON ITEMS
        load_file "MyPhoton.phm"
    }
}

Using a #if() #end to discern which you want to do can help.

Bob H.