POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : new hardware configuration question ?? : Re: new hardware configuration question ?? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new hardware configuration question ??
From: Chris Cason
Date: 7 Oct 2001 12:09:55
Message: <3bc07e53@news.povray.org>
>     Again you can allocate a full 4Gb, you'll get some hideous disk
> thrashing from doing it, but it'll work (most of the time).

Not correct; Win9x and 2000/ME/XP have a hard limit of 2gb per application
(due to the limit of virtual address space; the upper two gigs is reserved
for the system). Whether or not 9x can physically handle that much RAM I
can't say - the info above is purely related to the technical limit that
the OS designers placed upon application memory partitioning.

Win2k advanced server allows 3gb per application (it reserves "only" one
gigabyte for the system).

This 2gb limit is kinda scary when you consider that we have already seen
at least one POV image that uses more than half of that ... for users of
consumer Microsoft OS's, once scenes start hitting 2gb, no amount of RAM
will help the problem (POV will just fail with a memory allocation error).

  Bill Gates 1981: "No application will ever need more than 640k of RAM".
  Sidekick:        "And besides, home users could never afford that much!"

  Bill Gates 1991: "No application will ever need more than 2gb of RAM".
  Sidekick       : "And besides, home users could never afford that much!"

sigh.

-- Chris