POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POV 4 philosophy : Re: POV 4 philosophy Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:31:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 philosophy
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 7 Oct 2001 05:39:42
Message: <3bc022de@news.povray.org>
Alessandro Coppo schrieb in Nachricht <3BC### [at] iolit>...
>POV is a get-it-and-shut-up thing.

[...]
>There is no point in asking for changes.

I can't agree with you here. I once mentioned a pattern-type feature that
would be cool. It did not take long (days, not weeks) and someone had
written the code for something similar. It was not the same I asked for, but
one would have been able to achieve similar results with it. Okay, that
patch was never published, but that did not matter that much, as I went on
and was already at another project. And the author was willing to send a
copy to me.

I'm sure, this is not a one-time-event. Those programmers here do really
listen to things people ask for. Try the same with multi $ products. They
will take your money, but they won't incorporate your wishes. The Pov-Team
won't take your money and if you are able to convince them, that your way is
the better one (including necessary programming time and conception) - I
can't imagine, that they were not at least interested. And don't forget:
It's their program not ours. It's their time which they are willing to spend
to produce something which becomes even better all the time.

They even share the code with the community, so you don't even have to
convince one of the Pov-Team programmers to incorporate your wishes.
Everyone with knowledge of C(++) and a compiler can do it for you.

So where is the point in complaining? What do you want to achieve by that?

Just my two "only-user" Groschen,

Marc-Hendrik