POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POV 4 philosophy : Re: POV 4 philosophy Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 philosophy
From: Batronyx
Date: 5 Oct 2001 00:40:52
Message: <3bbd39d4@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:06:30 +0200, Disnel wrote:

[snip]
> In any case, it turns out that there aren't that many primitives that are
> just begging to be added.

    Well, now that you bring it up -- heh,heh -- Has anyone checked out Softy3D?
There is a link to it on povray links pages. I think blob-able splines would be
cool. And like that program, if blobs in general had grouping capabilities
(similiar to light groups) that would be super-cool. :D

>Most of the patches collected in MegaPOV fall
> into three categories:
>  - general, widespread changes to the rendering engine (photons, dispersion, >
light groups, UV mapping)
>  - parser-only changes (most of mine: #ifdef(A[i]), trace, min/max_extent)
>  - new textures or variations on old textures (object pattern, crackle)

    Speaking of textures. . . I noticed some odd, but not unexpected (after some
consideration) behavior while experimenting with cutaway textures and uv_mapped
boxes. It led me to implement a generic box-mapping function. The process wasn't
too difficult and it works well on several arbitrary shapes(objects that taper
too much need a little work though, but I think it can be done without too much
more effort).

Given your relatively strong mathematical skills and programming prowess,(not to
mention those of the other programming team members as well) I have to wonder
"What were map_types 3&4 ("still under development" since at least 2.2) supposed
to be?" And, "Why isn't one of them a box-mapping type?" And, "What about a
box-mapping warp type?"

I don't suppose any necessity for these implementations of box-mapping now with
the pigment functions. It's just one of those things that make me go
"Hmmmmmmmmm."

--
Batronyx ^"^
bat### [at] cadronhsacom //old & going away