POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface and Noise3d : Re: Isosurface and Noise3d Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and Noise3d
From: dave
Date: 4 Oct 2001 13:49:13
Message: <3bbca119@news.povray.org>
Ron,
  So I've been playign with the pigment maps and got a nice looking rock/stone pillar
type of thing.. Now I think I will try to convert it on over to a isosurface and see
if I can get the edges less sharp...  That's the only cavet I have right now.

Think I should use a isosurface or use something like a superellipsoid for the
rounding

Is there signifigant gains on use the Isosurface?

Thanks

Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:

> I think what we have here is a misunderstanding of how isosurfaces work.
> The function you give first is a plane displaced by a noise value.  That
> it happens to resemble a box with noise on one side is an artifact of
> MegaPOV: it renders the edges of the bounding box as solid if they would
> fall "inside" the function.  I think you'll find that POV 3.5 doesn't do
> that by default (and by the way, if you're using Windows or MacOS and
> starting to learn Isosurfaces, might I suggest that you use the POV 3.5
> beta so you don't have to relearn the parts that are different?)

> To get a proper noisy box, I think what you want is

<<< Function Snipped >>>