POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lights : Re: Lights Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lights
From: Bob H
Date: 3 Oct 2001 19:31:13
Message: <3bbb9fc1@news.povray.org>
"Timothy R. Cook" <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote in message
> Something which troubles me is that when I put a light source near
> a surface (such as a ceiling), the rest of the room is illuminated
> but the surface proximal to the light remains unlit, even when I
> turn on radiosity.  What settings can I use to fix this without
> having to 'cheat' and hover the light in the centre of the space?

Use a high ambient of 0.5 or more, about the only way around it I know of.
If you raise diffuse really high, that can do it somewhat, as long as
radiosity is being used but you also get extreme saturation at the immediate
location of the light source too.  One of those things you must adjust until
you get the right look.  A lot depends on the kind of surface you have for a
ceiling too, whether normals or isosurface or whatever.

POV-Ray isn't as adept as some professional ray tracers I guess (hmm, could
that be?;-)), there are ones which mimic lighting better from what I've read
others say and seen examples of on the www.

Bob H.