POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : WANTED: Your 10 Best Images : Re: WANTED: Your 10 Best Images Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WANTED: Your 10 Best Images
From: Rune
Date: 3 Oct 2001 18:36:49
Message: <3bbb9301@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> This is just a reminder that we are planning to close
> the upload pages on October 31st, 2001.

It's a good initiative, and I'm considering entering, but there's some of
the classifications I don't quite get.

Coder:   Someone who has served on the Pov-Team or has written
         his or her own patch to povray.
Honoree: Someone who has one an Honorable Mention or better
         honor in a contest like the Internet Raytracing Contest.
Dabbler: Someone who has used the software for a while and can
         get it to do what is wanted most of the time.
Novice:  Someone new to POV-Ray.

These are not mutually exclusive! One can be dabbler, honoree and coder at
the same time. Yet there are also a big void, for example I don't think I
fit in any of the 4 categories. Also the category "coder" is misleading
because being part of the POV-Team does not imply having ever written any
program code! (Only part of the POV-Team are programmers.)

It also doesn't appear to be clear if source code for the images can/must be
submitted.

I have one image that I can't fit into the themes. Where does a dripstone
cave belong? "Landscape" is my best bet, even though it's underground...

BTW, the 2D toon style always amused me as being a independent category.
Since there's no way of doing 2D Toons in official POV-Ray and only
unreliable ways to do it with MegaPov, and as I've seen only very few 2D
Toon images made with POV-Ray ever, I foresee that this style category will
have an exceptionally low number of submitted images... Perhaps if this
happens to be the case, the 3D toons and 2D toons styles could be combined
into one style category? Just a thought.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)