POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What and why is megapov : Re: What and why is megapov Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What and why is megapov
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Oct 2001 13:56:10
Message: <3bb9ffba@news.povray.org>
In article <3bb94ba4@news.povray.org> , "Rob Brown-Bayliss"
<on_### [at] clearnetnz> wrote:

>> Others simply do not work in a reliable fashion or are only
>> half-finished by the original author.  The goal of POV-ray 3.5 is to
>> provide _stable_ and _working_ set of features.
>
> Ok, so I can look at the mogapovs as the unstable development branch of
> Pov-ray, and pov-ray as the tested and known to work branch?

No.  The official POV-Ray is developed and supported by the POV-Team.  The
POV-Team is not responsible for any support or development of unofficial
versions like MegaPOV.  Also one major developer (Nathan) of MegaPOV is a
member of the POV-Team, he is working on MegaPOV independently.  It does not
imply that the POV-Team endorses MegaPOV in any way.

At no time has the POV-Team guaranteed that any feature that is part of
MegaPOV or any other unofficial version will be made part of the official
version of POV-Ray.  Of course this does _not_ mean that we won't add some
of the useful and working features from unofficial versions, but as we did
when developing POV-Ray 3.5, we reserve the right to make any change we see
fit when adding such a feature.

This policy has been stated and explained before, I think a lot of it can be
found in the various articles in the faq group.

    Thorsten

(Speaking for myself only, not for the team)

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.