POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.5 beta and memory use : Re: 3.5 beta and memory use Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5 beta and memory use
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Oct 2001 13:45:20
Message: <3bb9fd30@news.povray.org>
In article <3bb9ee6a@news.povray.org> , "Norbert Kern"
<nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> yes, I had strange problems with memory usage in 3.5.
>
> The problem was texturing of maketrees which consist of many cones and
> spheres (and a mesh for the leaf).
> Each cone and sphere was initially defined with the same texture.
> In megapov 0.7 my tree needed 21 MB, but in 3.5 >100 MB.
> After making a union and texturing the tree as whole entity, memory behavior
> was normal and my scene with 8 trees needs now 600 MB less, which is ok. :-)

I am not sure if this is possible to detect at all, but do you know how it
behaves in 3.1g in similar cases?  Who knows, maybe some code that reduces
memory usage got broken in 3.5 beta.  It can't hurt to post in the
p.beta-test and ask for someone to confirm it.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde