POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.5 beta and memory use : Re: 3.5 beta and memory use Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5 beta and memory use
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 2 Oct 2001 12:42:18
Message: <3bb9ee6a@news.povray.org>
yes, I had strange problems with memory usage in 3.5.

The problem was texturing of maketrees which consist of many cones and
spheres (and a mesh for the leaf).
Each cone and sphere was initially defined with the same texture.
In megapov 0.7 my tree needed 21 MB, but in 3.5 >100 MB.
After making a union and texturing the tree as whole entity, memory behavior
was normal and my scene with 8 trees needs now 600 MB less, which is ok. :-)

> IIRC Norbert Kern got a similar problem (have a look to his thread in
p.b.i)