POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh polygon reduction? : Re: Mesh polygon reduction? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh polygon reduction?
From: jarbee
Date: 1 Oct 2001 23:14:25
Message: <3bb93111@news.povray.org>

news:3BB18755.31FE7049@atosorigin.com...
> jarbee wrote:
> >

> > Although it may not give results as good as other algorithms, I'm
thinking
> > some interesting effects, could be accomplished, like combining >1
meshes,
> > using "control points" to influence shape, and creating
> > draped-cloth-over-object type effects.
>
> I do not understand how you do that from the reduction of polygons in a
mesh.
> Moreover, we already have something called clothray...
>
> > Meshes could also be interpolated from point density data using (almost)
the
> > same algorithm.
>
> Please explain, I really have no clue what you are writing about.

Well, OK - I'm writing about doing a hundred things with th one program. Say
you had a 3d mesh made of 1000 polygons. Couldn't you use either the vertex
points, or the point at the centre of each polygon as input to a SOM,
'mapping' each polygon to, say, all triangles of a certain size and, say,
500 polygons? Obviously the result would be an estimate of the original
mesh, rather than a reduction as you outlined.